As the world becomes more connected, hackers are finding new ways to get in.
Multifunctional printers (MFPs) can pose risks if you don’t protect them properly. With many people using shared offices or working from home, there could potentially be an unsecured printer that could be hacked.
MFP breaches are not only possible, but they can also result in the acquisition of sensitive information. That is why maintaining MFP security and keeping up on regular maintenance tasks, like firmware updates, is essential for ensuring you’re prepared when disaster strikes.
Until recently, MFPs ( which print, copy, scan, fax, email, etc) were rarely considered as software. This has led to an increased risk for attacks because they could have old vulnerabilities that could compromise a system if not patched with updates.
Unsecured networks leave your print jobs unprotected. If a network port is open then hackers can access confidential information from this print queue.
Lacking security functions can allow hackers access to your system. This will lead them to reroute print jobs, save documents or download confidential scanned documents from within the printer.
What can you do for MFP/printer security?
- Change default passwords on printers.
- Monitoring network security. Develop an update management process to keep printer software and firmware up to date.
- Avoid using administrator-level usernames and passwords when granting the printer access to network resources.
- Securing workstations and providing training to ensure user safety.
- Regularly backing up data.
- Monitor security software and regularly update to prevent threats.
- Include Managed Services from Kyocera to make sure key security software is monitored and updated to prevent current and future threats to your organization.
Malware and hackers are finding new ways to access your data, which includes the MFP connected to your business network. American Laser, along with Kyocera, can help you by understanding MFP/printer threats that could impact your organization and implementing controls to prevent an attack or minimize damage.
Businesses should take the time to invest in a multifunctional printer for their home and office setup. At American Lazer, we serve businesses located across Massachusetts and New Hampshire so don’t hesitate to reach out if you need help! Click here or call (866) 922-9003 today.